The stunning German Sonor kits keep rolling in! Here we have a late 1980's SonorLite. Made from and finished in Scandinavian Birch, this kit is a work of art and one of Sonor's greatest sounding shells.
Sonorlite drums were originally developed in response to drummers who were not only seeking an instrument with high quality sound, but also required a light, rigid shell design.
"In the construction of Sonorlite we have strived to meet the most demanding sound requirements. The same high manufacturing standards that we use in our full Sonor product range have naturally been applied to Sonorlite. Nothing has been compromised, We have given painstaking attention to even the smallest detail"
The Sonorlite Shell
The Sonorlite drum shell is unique in several respects. It is made from Scaninavian Birch, which is also used in the production of aircraft. Its ratio of strength to weight is particularly favorable to percussion, so that a Sonorlite shell can be nearly 50% lighter than comparable shells. Snare drums and bass drums are 12-ply and measure 7mms, while tom and floor tom shells are 9-ply and measure 6mms.
The Sonorlite Sound
Sonorlite drums produce a warm, rich and modern sound. The balanced sound volume is achieved by special shell sizes. Every Sonorlite shell is veneered inside with selected plies of high-quality Scandinavian Birch, giving them the final touch to the sound.
The Sonorlite Finish
The kit we have here is finished in Yellow Lacquer. This was a special order finish available towards the end of the production run dating the kit around 1987. On the interior you can see the Scandinavian Birch. Scandinavian Birch is a rarity from which Sonor produced only a limited quantity of Sonorlite drums. Today the finish is used as a veneer option for both the outer and interiors of the Sonor SQ2 range - an option that commands a premium price!
- SonorLite Scandinavian Birch Drum Kit
- Finished in special order Yellow Lacquer (YL)
- Finished inside (inner plys) Grade A Scandinavian Birch (MB)
- LG22 - 22 x 17 Bass Drum 12 Ply
- LT10 - 10 x 9 Tom 9 Ply
- LT12 - 12 x 10 Tom 9 Ply
- LF15 - 15 x 13 Tom 9 Ply
- Seamless Ferro Manganese Hoops on all Toms
- Snap Lock Tension Rods
- Includes Double Tom Arm and Single Tom Arm
- Made in Germany Circa 87-89
- Fitted with new Evans Batter Heads throughout - G2 on Toms, EMAD on the Bass Drum
- PreLoved - Condition 8/10 - The Shells are in exceptional condition, a little bit of bass drum rash and light signs of ageing on the metal work.